Today is Labor Day. It's a 3 day holiday for lots of folks and the "traditional" end of Summer day. Mom remembers how the beaches and pools would all close in NJ. Here in Florida, it's almost always Summer!!
Here's some Labor Day Trivia:
Modern American labor Day Trivia & History:
- The average time it takes to commute to work. 24.3 minutes
- Of the 233 counties with populations of 250,000 or more, Queens (41.7 minutes), Richmond (41.3 minutes), Bronx (40.8 minutes) and Kings (39.7 minutes) -– four of the five counties that comprise New York City – experienced the longest average commute-to-work times.
- The amount of time the average American spends commuting to work each year ismore than 100 hours. (This exceeds the typical two weeks of vacation time taken by many U.S. workers over the course of a year.)
- 7.3 million workers who hold down more than one job. “Moonlighters” comprise 5 percent of the working population. Of these, 3.8 million work full time at their primary job and part time at their other job, and about 293,000 work full time at both jobs.
- 10.3 million workers are self-employed.
- 4.5 million people work at home.
- 20.3 million females work in educational, health and social services industries. More women work in this industry group than in any other. Manufacturing was the most popular
- industry among men, with 11.3 million workers.
- There are an estimated 15.8 million labor union members nationwide. About 13 percent of wage and salary workers belong to unions, with New York having among the highest rates of any state – 25 percent. North Carolina has one of the lowest rates, 3 percent.As you celebrate the labor day holiday party, remember to give a nod to all the hardworking men and women who marched in solidarity in the days where industrial labor ruled America. Union leaders worked to create the benefits of overtime and sick pay that we enjoy today. So enjoy your 3 day weekend and thanks for all your hard work!
Happy Labor Day from the Florida Furkids, Cousin Trooper and Mom Sharon